Question:
What is going rate to dig hole for 1000 gallon septic tank?
1970-01-01 00:00:00 UTC
What is going rate to dig hole for 1000 gallon septic tank?
Five answers:
Sewerman
2009-02-15 07:26:14 UTC
I install septic tanks professionally, and have been asked this several times. I, however don't work as an excavation company for hire. The average homeowner doesn't posses the knowledge that years of experience can offer. There are many aspects to the proper installation of a septic tank and its components that won't be realized by most handymen until it's too late. More often than not, a self-installer will have incurred more expense than it would've had he/she just hired that contractor to do the job outright.

If you still feel compelled to take on this task, please do so using caution. Any excavation company you hire should be insured for the type of work they will be performing on your property. They should be able to provide a copy of their current policy as proof. Ask around the neighborhood or even a local hardware store, chances are someone knows a reputable contractor. If you end up digging this yourself (not advisable) like others have suggested, please be aware that buried utilities or other surprises could be waiting for you when you least expect it. In my area, it is against the law to dig into the earth without first contacting an agency to have utilities marked out. In New York we have a free service called "Dig Safely New York" formerly known as UFPO. I'm relatively sure this type of organization is available in other states and communities as well.

I know this answer doesn't place a dollar amount to your question, but hopefully it will help you to make a well informed decision on what direction you go with this project.

-Good Luck

http://hunnywagon.com/advice.htm
yspring
2009-02-14 15:33:30 UTC
Free if you do the work yourself ;-) You could also check into renting a backhoe at your local equipment rental company.

The bigger question is why are you needing a new septic tank? If you're repairing your septic system, you'll probably need to contact your local regulating authority (health department in my area) and they can provide you with a list of approved septic system installers.

The cost will vary by the area you live in, the time of year you're having it done, and the person doing the work.
martin d
2009-02-12 21:58:57 UTC
Just take a couple days and dig it yourself.

As long as you don't have too many roots down there, it's really not as hard as people think. I dug my own, which is a bit bigger than that.
2009-02-12 22:09:19 UTC
Depends on the dude that owns the backhoe. If you are a buddy, he will do it for a case of beer. Or if you are a nasty fat b sturd, he will try to soak you good. If he is really busy, he can't do you...if he is hard up for cash well you can dicker. Ask around. It is called free enterprize. People can charge what they want. And you can choose to pay what you want.(high or low). If you don't look, you deserve to get stung.
Meli
2009-02-12 22:04:56 UTC
Let your fingers do the walking through the yellow pages. Call around and get some estimates.

Estimates are free.