Question:
how easy is it to change a kitchen faucet?
timmy c
2006-01-14 07:02:16 UTC
do i need to call a plumber?
Seven answers:
ram
2006-01-14 07:13:17 UTC
If there are shut off valves under the sink, the job will be much easier for someone who hasn't done it too much.

Overall, it is an easy job. I've done dozens. They usually take a couple of hours.

One of the keys to success (no leaks) is to do a good job in applying teflon tape to all threaded joints. I also apply silicone grease to joints. Torque joints tightly, but overtorqueing will do damage.

And, in my experience, it is worth the extra money to buy better quality.
Kes
2006-01-14 07:35:02 UTC
It often depends on how old the plumbing is and how constricted the space is in which you need to work. It can be very difficult to get a wrench up to the fittings to apply enough force or move the hexagonal fittings enough to get a new bite. Plumbers often have special tools and tricks. Also, you must select a new fixture that will correctly mate with the existing holes in the sink and the proper style (does it have a spray feature, etc.?). Some fittings are even metric now. I've done it several times and it is not fun (even for a mechanical engineer no less).

Old plumbing may break or not take up leak-tight. Hardware stores do have a selection of do-it-yourself kits (and often good advice on what you need).

You will need to shut off the house water supply (if there are no local isolation valves or if they leak). Before you do, draw a supply of water for drinking, etc. and to wash up if you must go back to the hardware store (doesn't fit?).

Do not use too much force in taking up fittings or they may break or strip. I would advise doing your repair early in the morning so that you can always call a plumber if everything goes wrong and tubing must be replaced (soldered). Plumbers likely get such emergency calls all the time.

You can do it - but it is not always easy, so plan ahead. Good luck.
Erika
2016-11-11 09:23:41 UTC
the toughest section is removing the previous one. turn off valves on the sink and attempt the faucet to work out if the valves carry, if no longer turn off at meter station and attempt back, if ng end and get in touch with a plumber, if ok disconnect the supply tubes on the valves and base of the faucet. u will want a spanner wrench for this. if u are nevertheless ok, at this element a deep socket will ease removing of the unit from the sink base. sparkling the floor w/ Scotch Britte. now u are waiting to place in new unit. make particular to apply some plumbers caulk between the sink and the faucet. the fasteners under the sink can probable be tightened by way of hand. ultimately connect with grant pipe w/ braided SS tubes, no cuttin necessary, basically use a sprint sealant on the top and backside nuts. a plumber will do all this in approximately an hour for greater or less $a hundred and fifty plus areas. determine upwards of $3 hundred
2006-01-14 08:27:09 UTC
I am a plumbing contrator of many years. To answer this question how old is the existing faucet and what is the brand name. Condition & type of pipes under the sink?
paul67337
2006-01-14 07:29:39 UTC
two things you'll need...

one of those coal miners headlamp flashlights so you can see under there.

a special wrench. it's a long shaft with a C like clamp that rotates 180 degrees.
ilikethickchix
2006-01-14 07:03:22 UTC
not hard at all, and i am horrible at things like that so you should be fine.
iAmWilliam
2006-01-14 07:04:15 UTC
not that ezey